Summer = Sunscreen
When summer hits in Minnesota it is instinct to grab the sunscreen and run to the water! All sunscreens are not created equal, so take a minute to read the labels. Download the app created by the Environmental Working Group for healthy living, EWG, scan the UPC on the sunscreen bottle the app will give you a rating on the product, 1 is the best rating and 10 is the worst. This app works great for other products too!
You can visit Ewg.org to see the EWG’s 2018 Guide to Safer Sunscreens.
Why care at all? Over 96% of the US population has Oxybenzone in their body. Oxybenzone is a popular ingredient in poorly rated sunscreens and a known endocrine disruptor in men and women.
Top Safe Sunscreens
- Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented SPF 30
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Lotion Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin SPF 50
- Beautycounter Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
- Raw Elements USA Face Body Tin or lotion , SPF 30
If you would rather avoid any sunscreen use you can choose to:
- Enjoy the early morning sun
- Wear hats or sun shirts
- Use plain zinc oxide
- Make your own sunscreen
Summer is short in Minnesota get out and enjoy the sun!