Benefits of CBD Oil
There has been hype in the media lately about CBD oil and creams…
What is CBD? CBD is one of many compounds, known as cannabinoids, that are found in the cannabis plant. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive compound derived from industrial hemp. There has been growing research on its therapeutic affects of the endocannabinoid system. This system is part of the nervous system, that is made up of two different types of receptors, CB1 and CB2 which help regulate the basic body functions. The CB1 receptors in the brain deal with coordination and movement, pain, emotions and mood, thinking, appetite, and memories, among others. CB2 receptors are more common in the immune system.
How CBD works? CB1 and CB2 receptors can be activated by endocannabinoids (produced by the human body) as well as by plant cannabinoids (like those found in hemp or cannabis.) It is believed that CBD seems to influence the body to use more of its own cannabinoids by activating other receptors.
Benefits of CBD?
- Natural pain relief or anti-inflammatory properties. Research suggests that the non-psychoactive compounds in marijuana (THC), may be a new treatment for chronic pain.
- Quitting smoking and drug withdrawals.
- Epilepsy and other mental health disorders. CBD is also being studied for its possible role in treating epilepsy and neuropsychiatric disorders.
- Helps fight cancer. CBD has been studied for its use for anti-cancer as well as the negative side-effects of cancer treatment.
- Anxiety disorders. Studies are showing that while THC may trigger anxiety or paranoia, CBD may reduce disorders such as: PTSD, General anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder and OCD.
- Type 1 diabetes. CBD may ease inflammation in the pancreas, which is when the immune system attacks cells in the pancreas leading to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Acne. Acne is caused by inflammation and overworked sebaceous glands. CBD decreases inflammation.
- Alzheimer’s disease. CBD could potentially prevent people in the early stages of Alzheimer’s from losing their ability to recognize the faces of people that they know.
- Could Benefit Heart Health. Recent research has linked CBD with several benefits for the heart and circulatory system, including the ability to lower high blood pressure.
Is CBD Legal? If you are considering CBD oil as a treatment for a suitable condition, talk to your local healthcare provider. Also, research the laws for your own state.
Due to the lack of FDA regulation for CBD products, seek advice from a medical professional before settling on any particular dosage.